Ensure healthy lives and promote well-being for all at all ages
We are introducing several dedicated WSAVA 2023 initiatives, aiming to promote a healthy lifestyle, while enjoying being together with the community.
- The WSAVA 2023 Fun(d) Run – an opportunity to get active for a 5k morning run, or a 3K morning walk in support of the fight against rabies in Africa
- The WowSava Non-Clinical Stream– Sessions ranging from personal growth and team building to stress management and sustainability.
Ensure inclusive & equitable quality education, and promote lifelong learning opportunities for all
Supporting accessible high-quality education for our global veterinary community is a top priority. Throughout the organization of WSAVA 2023, we strive to constantly improve the program, introduce more accessible conference alternatives, support onsite attendance, eliminate gender disparities in education, and ensure long-term education for our attendees.
- High-Quality Program – Carefully crafted by the WSAVA 2023 Scientific Committee team. We make sure to constantly innovate, educate and deliver new knowledge, introduce new relevant topics – such as the addition of a non-clinical stream, and invite the best international & local speakers.
Reduce inequality within and among countries
WSAVA is dedicated to reducing the inequality in the accessibility of quality education for all, by hosting its World Congress in a different region every year, ensuring that attendants from each continent can learn from and share their expertise.
WSAVA 2023 will also celebrate the 26th APMVEAC Congress together with the XIX FIAVAC Congress, who will showcase local and regional practices in Lisbon, during a dedicated stream. The sessions will be in Spanish and Portuguese, allowing LATAM participants the opportunity to make the most of the learning opportunities on offer.
Ensure sustainable consumption and production patterns
In an effort to reduce paper waste and our environmental footprint, we have implemented several eco-friendly practices.
- Minimize the use of printed materials – Instead of producing a regular-sized program book, WSAVA 2023 will have a mini program book instead. The mini version still contains essential information about the congress, including schedules, session details, and speaker profiles, but is one attendees can easily carry in their pockets or bags, ensuring convenience while minimizing paper consumption.
- Healthy, locally-sourced meals during the Congress – By sourcing ingredients locally, WSAVA supports local farmers and reduces the carbon footprint associated with long-distance food transportation. These locally-sourced meals not only contribute to the overall sustainability of the congress but also promote a healthier and more nutritious dining experience for participants.
- Avoiding Food Waste – Working with non-profit organizations to donate leftover food to those in need.
- Promoting Sustainable Development – While organizing our event, we enquire and opt for more sustainable options from our vendors, openly communicate our efforts to do better and encourage our partners and participants to do so too.
Lisbon Congress Centre Sustainability
CCL – Lisbon Congress Centre is committed to quality and sustainability for a long time, as those values are the future: we all need to care for our planet and our future generations. Here are some of their commitments:
- Water Usage – CCL took part in EPAL’s campaign to raise awareness of tap water sustainability, which invited public and private entities to accept the challenge of exclusively consuming water from the public water supply network in their premises, by providing EPAL water jugs for their common areas (Meeting Rooms, Coffee Break Areas and Canteens).
- Public Transport – Our venue is located in a central area in the city of Lisbon, offering a vast variety of public transport. We actively promote the usage of trains, metro & buses among organizers and participants, as well as the use of more eco-friendly individual transports, such as rented bikes and scooters.
- Waste Avoiding – When purchasing products and materials, we choose those that have less packaging and less aggression for the environment.
All waste products are conveyed to a sorting unit, which is responsible for selection, recovery and recycling, providing the best technical environmental solution. We reuse materials whenever possible, and also recycled materials and products for graphic production, signage, decoration, and promotional gifts.
- Waste Management – The waste management services are performed by subcontract, with a specialized company, THE TRIU, SA. They make part of SUMA GROUP of MOTA-ENGIL and started its activities in 1991. The company sort and recover waste through the Center for Integrated Waste Recovery (CIVRE), and they also create a US delegation in the north of Portugal.
Detailed information regarding CCL’s sustainability policies, including policies for partners, AV and Corporate Social Responsibility initiatives, by downloading the full document here.